Today we’re talking all about the best summer maternity clothes. I’ve spent four summers pregnant and am sharing all the best cute maternity finds to wear when it gets hot. This post may contain affiliate links.
Summer Maternity Clothes
Let’s talk summer pregnancy.
Pregnancy is hard on its own. You’re growing an entire human!
A summer pregnancy is another beast entirely.
My first baby was born in January so I had a tiny taco baby bump the summer before. My last two babies were both born at the end of August so I enjoyed summer weather for my entire third trimester (please hear that sarcasm).
I have tried hundreds of maternity pieces over the last few years. I’ve had four babies while writing articles on maternity fashion so just about every maternity brand has sent me something at one point. Today I’m sharing the very best pieces you want to order right now to survive a summer pregnancy.
We’ll cover great basics, fun dresses, and the underwear you should already own if you’re pregnant.
Maternity Brands for cute summer maternity clothes:
If you’re trying to build a cute maternity summer wardrobe, here is a good place to start. These are my tried-and-true, very best maternity brands for summer maternity clothing. They either do soft + breezy fabric really well or specialize in darling dresses. I’ve tried to make it easy to get to what you’re looking for by shouting out one thing I love about each of them (but you can’t go wrong with just about anything from any of them).
- BEST BUDGET // Amazon Essentials: You’ll get great value shopping Amazon’s in-house fashion brands for maternity pieces(great quality for the price). A few of my very favorite maternity finds were actually Amazon last time around.
- WIDEST SELECTION // Pinkblush Maternity: The great thing about being pregnant in the summer is DRESSES. Just live in dresses. Pinkblush does maternity dresses so well with SO many different options.
- FAVORITE TEE //Mother Bee Maternity: They make my favorite basic maternity tees but also have a wide assortment of dresses for daily wear, photoshoots, and baby showers.
- BEST HIGH END //Hatch Maternity: A high-end maternity brand that you can count on for good quality, stylish pieces.
- BEST JEANS //Blanqi: A mid to high-end maternity brand that specializes in great quality leggings. They make my VERY favorite maternity jeans (and I don’t give that recommendation lightly). But, if you’re pregnant during the summer what you really need is their cooling slip (anything in their cooling fabric, actually).
- BEST BAMBOO FABRIC //Kindred Bravely: You can count on them for super soft fabrics that will feel great on your growing bump and postpartum body. Their bamboo line is PHENOMENAL. It will be the only thing you want on your skin (especially your stretched belly). They have loungewear, pajamas, AND underwear in the bamboo fabric. I also love their maternity/nursing bras.
- MOST CHIC // Legoe Heritage: This high-end Australian-based maternity brand makes the most gorgeous, understatedly chic maternity pieces. I lived in their knits and dresses toward the end of my last pregnancy and cannot say enough great things about the style, quality, and comfort of these pieces. The biggest perk is they almost all work very well postpartum and as your body changes after having a baby.
- CUTEST //NOM Maternity: They have cute comfortable pieces whatever season it is BUT their gingham set included below is one of my all-time favorite maternity pieces. You can count on anything from them to be very comfortable (whether that is a soft fabric or a smocked waistband).
- BEST DRESSES// Angel Maternity: They have a great selection of on-trend dresses I’d be thrilled to wear pregnant or not that work beautifully for daily wear, maternity photos, or events like summer weddings or baby showers.
- BEST SHORTS // Soon Maternity: Another great maternity brand to keep on your radar, Soon made one of my favorite pairs of maternity shorts last time around.
Best staples for a summer maternity wardrobe:
If you’re wondering where to start when it comes to building a summer maternity wardrobe (or its getting hot and you just need some new clothes, like, yesterday), here are the basics you need:
- a basic maternity tee
- a flowy dress
- maternity bike shorts
- a maternity swimsuit
- smocked maternity shorts
- maternity blouse / button-down
15 Best summer maternity clothes to wear as the weather heats up
Here are mini reviews of the 15 items I think you should go buy for your summer pregnancy. You’ll thank me later.
1. Henri Shorts from Hatch
These smocked shorts are cute, comfortable, and versatile. You’ll want to lounge in them around the house or dress them up for summer bbqs.
(bonus: you can wear them post partum + beyond like most pieces from Hatch)
During my first two pregnancies I avoided denim during the summer because it wasn’t comfortable. These shorts changed my mind. They’re cute, comfortable, and go with everything.
Even in my third trimester when I prefer a full panel, these were very comfortable.
You will LOVE the way the bamboo fabric from Kindred Bravely feels. I lived in this tank during pregnancy and in my post partum period. It is just NICER and more comfotable than anything else out there.
I also ordered the bamboo lounge shorts and the bamboo lounge tank. They’re made from the same material and so soft + breathable.
A black bodycon dress is such a versatile pregnancy staple. With a few tweaks this can fit just about any occasion you need.
- Heading to the office? Throw on a blazer.
- Meeting friends: Add a denim jacket
- Lounging around the house: Wear it as-is or throw on a cardigan
This one is super soft and comfortable. I’m wearing my regular maternity size.
You’ll want to live in dresses this summer and this cooling slip is the perfect thing underneath all of them.
You get some compression support and it acts as shapewear under bodycon dresses, smoothing everything out.
Their fabric promises to cool you down 1-2 degrees and it is magic.
These are the best looser fit maternity tees you are going to find below $50. They’re INCREDIBLY soft, not at all see-through, and so comfortable.
They run pretty long which means they work covering the bump all the way through the third trimester. I ordered one size up from my regular maternity size for a looser fit. LOVE these.
9. A cute tiered midi dress
There are so many options for darling maternity dresses but I love this style of tiered maxi dress. It lets you show off the bump while holding your belly but gives you the comfort of NOT being skin tight. These can grow with you and be worn post partum.
This exact one isn’t maternity (and I wore it under a sweater last week post partum) but works with a bump. If you want a specific maternity dress, I had this tie strap one from Angel Maternity and it is fantastic.
Comfort is the name of the game with these cute maternity one piece outfits. The fabric is unbelievably buttery soft – you won’t want to take it off!
The black could be dressed up for work with a blazer but I really love this fun light green.
I’m wearing it with a sweater here but you could throw it over a tank, tee, or bralette.
These nude colored shorts are a lot like high waisted bike shorts and keep everything smooth and comfortable under maternity clothes. They also prevent chaffing.
I love them under just about all maternity dresses (especially if I’m not wearing this slip). You’ll love these under maternity dresses all summer long.
These are great under dresses to prevent chaffing but also can work in so many different outfits on their own.
If you’re going to splurge on one dress this summer, let it be this one. It is versatile, flattering, and beautiful.
It comes in a few gorgeous colors (how perfect would the white be for a baby shower or maternity photos?). You could wear this as a wedding guest OR running errands. I wore this to events, dinner out, and just sitting at the park with my kids.
It is a fantastic length, has a flattering tie and is a soft, cotton/linen blend.
14. Nom Matching Set
You have to buy these two pieces separately but they are the perfect mix of comfortable and stylish. You can wear them together and apart. You can wear them as pajamas and out and about.
The smocking on the shorts is cute and comfortable. I wore this out to eat, as a pool coverup, and everything in-between.
The shorts are cute with a white tee and the blouse can be dressed up with a skirt or over a bodycon dress. Bonus is I’ve worn both of these post partum.
15. Comfortable Maternity Pajamas
My number one recommendation for these is to just order shorts and a tee or tank from Kindred Bravely’s Bamboo line.
If you want specific pajamas, Kindred Bravely has those, too (but they’re slightly less versatile). I have the longer version of the bamboo pajamas and they are so luxuriously soft and cooling.
You might be hot and uncomfortable a lot of the summer so go ahead and splurge on something gorgeous from Legoe Heritage. I love everything from this brand (seriously). Find something in your style and wear it whenever you need to be put-together.
I asked in my due-date group on facebook for summer maternity clothes recsand here were a few other recs
- These Posh-Diva over-the-bump yoga shorts
- This retro maternity one piece with boyshorts
- These buttery-soft leggings
- This set of under-the-bump underwear
- This summer materrnity romper
- These maternity lounge shorts
- A pair of comfortable slip-ons like these Birkenstocks
- a great hat