Daylight savings throwing any other moms for a loop? Don’t get me wrong, I love my kids sleeping in ’till 7:30 or 8 (until I hear of my friends kids sleeping ’till TEN!) but when they aren’t asleep ’till almost 9 pm, it’s like my evenings have disappeared.
I try to get the house back in order during the time the kids are unwinding in bed reading so that once they’re asleep I can start on any work I have for the evening. In an ideal world the work is wrapped up in time for an hour or so of reading, watching a show, or unwinding in the bath with an audiobook. But most of the time I wrap things up just as I should be going to bed.
And then there are the nights I call it quits and eat ice cream on the couch in the middle of today’s mess. And that’s okay, too.
The indulgence in my freezer right now? Magnum’s new tubs of ice cream. There is something about cracking the chocolate on top …. and they also have little bits of chocolate throughout the ice cream. Also, try the nutella flavor if you’re a chocolate and hazelnut lover. It’s DELICIOUS.
You can grab the new Magnum tubs in the freezer display at Walmart at the end of the ice cream aisle… but STAY TUNED for later this week when I’m giving away TWENTY golden spoons and coupons for free tubs of ice cream 🙂 Or just go add it to your next grocery pickup and thank me later.
But back to the struggling mom life… I find this struggle around nap time too – always the battle between wanting to get things done because the kids are sleeping and knowing I should be taking time for myself.
6 Ways for The Struggling Mom to Unwind
So, if you’re looking for a fast way to unwind at the end of the day…or slip in some quality “me-time” during naps after getting things done, keep reading:
- Write a gratitude list: This has been something I’ve done off and on for a few years – sometimes as a note in my phone, sometimes to Ben before I fall asleep, and sometimes in a physical journal. No matter how stressed or frustrated I am just a few short minutes in a gratitude journal leave me feeling a bit more humble and often thankful for the very things I was bemoaning before.
- Find a scent: Whether you’re catching up on instagram or reading a chapter from a new book in bed, adding in a bit of your own aromatherapy is the perfect way to really calm the senses. You can go with a relaxing lavender candle (a scent proven to have soothing and sedative effects when inhaled) or if candles aren’t your thing, think about a home spray, a favorite perfume, or even a few fresh flowers by your bedside.
Weird fun fact: each time I was pregnant I LOVED the smell of rubber. One night I even crawled into bed with a coconut popsicle, netflix, and brand new pair of shoes to smell 😛 These days a candle is much more soothing but to each their own.
- Soak in the tub: Add a cup of bath salts, dim the lights, and turn on a podcast (or some soothing music) while soaking in the hot water. This is one of my favorites because just five minutes in a tub, alone, feels like an eternity.
- Listen to a book: Speaking of podcasts, at the end of the day I often feel a bit more like closing my eyes than reading. It’s the perfect time to listen to a chapter of an audiobook, catch up on a favorite podcast, or just relax to some tunes. I found this list of podcasts I’m excited to check out and I most recently finished “How Not to Hate Your Husband After Kids” if you’re looking for an interesting take with plenty of suggestions on marriage after kids.
- Go through a short yoga series: I am by no means a yogi, but after years of dance I’ve learned that stretching is a great way to relax. I’m getting back into using this short series of post partum yoga stretches to help my abdominals (still not healed almost 2 years post partum :/) but this one looks like a great list for someone with just a few minutes in need of a bit of relaxation. Plus, you’ll be a bit more flexible if you keep this one up!
- Indulge in an easy treat: Pretty low on my list at the end of a long day is making a mess in the kitchen, and even lower is cleaning that mess up. So finding something that is easy and delicious is top of my list. Go try the new Magnum tubs and let me know what you think. I love the mix of silky ice cream and rich crunchy chocolate …and you can bet I just eat it straight out of the tub.