This chocolate chip whole wheat muffin recipe with walnuts is our go-to muffin. We’ll make them for a leisurely breakfast on Sunday or for a snack on a rainy Wednesday afternoon.
This easy and healthier chocolate chip muffin recipe has been a standard in our family for years now. The kids love eating them even more than they like baking them. It’s packed full of oatmeal and walnuts and while it calls for coconut oil, you can substitute vegetable oil just fine (we do about half the time).
I started making these with Lincoln when he was two and his favorite activity was “cooking” on his stool in the kitchen. He wanted to help with everything we made and while it was a little frustrating when I was just trying to get dinner on the table, it has stayed one of my favorite things to do with him. He used to call his his “muffits” and they have stayed a favorite.
The whole wheat base of this muffin recipe can be a great starting point if you’re looking to make healthier blueberry muffins and I also love adding pecans and shredded coconut to it. Sometimes we’ll leave out the chocolate chips so we can spread honey or nutella on our muffins, too 😉 But, the walnut chocolate chip combo is my favorite to date and Lincoln always requests chocolate chips in the muffins. Clearly he’s related to his mother.
Whole wheat chocolate chip muffin recipe
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 C cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (we prefer mini)
What you’ll do:
- Mix the first six ingredients together in a bowl. Add in eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Stir in chopped pecans and chocolate chips.
- Grease muffin pan and fill each cup till its 2/3 full. Bake at 400° for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick or fork inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Eat immediately (makes about 12). But then save the rest to snack on over the next few days 😉