Honeymoon Buffalo Potato Skins
Today’s recipe is a recreation from our first honeymoon meal in collaboration with Collective Bias and their advertiser. Gotta love ready-to-go proteins..epseically when this pregnancy makes me dislike cooking raw meat even more. All opinions are my own, as always 🙂 #newfromhormel #CollectiveBias
The first night of our honeymoon (well, the second if you count our wedding night spent in New Hampshire) we arrived at our small Key Largo resort after dark and very hungry. Per the recommendations left in our suite, we sauntered across the street to a local pub-like restaurant. We were feeling like high rollers, this being our honeymoon and all, and ordered an appetizer. Its also possible that I ordered this appetizer for my meal because it sounded so good and I knew it would come out faster than anything else.
for some very old honeymoon pictures click here
We were hooked. It was the only place we ate on our honeymoon more than once and after settling into our newlywed life in Utah, we tried recreating these for a few of our “month anniversaries” (back in our first year of marriage when we celebrated things like ‘being married for three months’).
With the new potato kick I’ve been on this pregnancy I’ve been meaning to branch out from my usual baked potato habit and recreate these for the first time in years. When I saw Hormel’s already prepared Buffalo Chicken at the grocery store next to the deli meats (I no longer have to stare longingly at deli meats…properly heat the meat before putting it on a sandwich and the pregnant lady is allowed to eat sandwiches again!), it was a done deal. I love how easy it was to prepare everything (no cutting, marinating, or cooking meat for me!) and how well they held up in the refridgerator for lunch on day two. The best part though, is that neither Ben or I ever order anything “buffalo” seasoned so the taste really does take us back to the Florida Keys and our first few days of marriage 🙂
What You’ll Need:
- 7 small potatoes
- 3 tablespoons of butter (softened)
- 1 package sharp cheddar cheese (if you like blue cheese, use that here instead)
- 1 package Hormel Hot Sandwich Meat in Buffalo Chicken (use this coupon for a discount)
- sour cream
- cilantro (for garnish)
What You’ll Do:
- Thoroughly wash small potatoes and use a fork to poke each with a few holes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes
- Remove potatoes from oven and cut in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the insides of the potatoes so that 1/4- 1/2 inch of potato is left.
- Rub softened butter on the skins of the potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Broil on high for 2-3 minutes (watch so they don’t burn…but if you’re in a hurry you can skip this step).
- Repeat step 4 with the insides of the skins (again, watch them…or skip this step).
- In a saucepan, heat the buffalo chicken on medium high for 5 minutes.
- Fill each skin with cheese and chicken and replace in oven and broil until cheese is completely melted.
- Garnish with sour cream and cilantro and enjoy!
**the potato skins from our honeymoon had blue cheese crumbles on them and a yummy ranch dipping sauce…while we liked the ones on our honeymoon, after our first recreation attempt I remembered I really dislike blue cheese and we’ve been using cheddar or feta ever since.
^I served them with some squash and zucchini sauteed in olive oil
Another note on incredibly easy meals and my lack of enthusiasm at cooking meat these days, we used Hormel’s Everyday Scratch chicken in our fifteen minute pad thai and it was great. Less prep for me, more protein for Ben and baby makes for a great combination. You can use this coupon for $1 off the Everyday Scratch products through November.
those look amazing!!
I actually had potato skins tonight! But they weren't nearly as delicious as these look. Definitely going to try to recreate these!
Amazing recipe my dear.