Fisherman’s Wharf, Monterey with the kids
Here’s all about our visit to Fisherman’s Wharf Monterey, CA with two kids and the details of what you should do at the wharf!
Family date to Fisherman’s Wharf, Monterey
Location: Dennis the Menace Park + Fisherman’s Wharf, Monterey, CA
Length of Time: 2.5 hours
Price: $12.65 (Price of parking at the wharf + salt water taffy)
Ben grew up spending a week in Monterey/Pacific Grove on the northern coast of California each summer and we got to take the kids back there with his parents earlier this month. It was so fun imagining my in-laws taking toddler Ben to the same places we were wandering with Lincoln and Adelaide. It almost sold me on the idea of a time share instead of a new vacation destination each year 😉
On our last night in Pacific Grove we spent the afternoon playing at Dennis the Menace park (BEST park I’ve been too in the US) and then ended the evening with awalk along the boardwalk at Fisherman’s Wharf.
If you’re in the area, head to the Wharf around dinner time and sample the clam chowder outside the restaurants. We opted not to brave a sit-down meal so close to bedtime but savored a few small cups before heading home. It had me wishing we’d gone there earlier in our trip though, because some of the restaurants looked SO GOOD (especially the Italian places with seafood specials).
The wharf is bustling with people and lined with restaurants. There are options for boat tours and whale watching and plenty of places to buy gifts and treats. It’s a great place for people watching, a snack, or a full day of fun.
A few things from our evening:
- Lincoln insisted on pushing Adelaide in the stroller all by himself. It was an old umbrella stroller we were borrowing that didn’t steer very well so I was pretty impressed he could get her from point A to point B without running into anyone (or anything).
- I have a salt water taffy problem. It’s a pretty sweet problem to have.
- Adelaide would rather be walking than in the stroller, unless Lincoln is pushing her.
Things to Do At Fisherman’s Wharf with Kids
- The candy store! There is great Salt Water Taffy and lots of other fun treats. Don’t skimp on the dessert on this outing.
- Clam Chowder. The wharf is a great place to grab a snack or a meal. There are lots of dining options at Fisherman’s Wharf but one of the classics is the clam chowder. They are always handing out samples so even if you aren’t ready for dinner, grab a tiny cup!
- Tons of ocean activities: If you’re up for more than just a stroll and delicious food, check out the variety of ocean activities they offer right from Fisherman’s Wharf. You can take glass bottom boat tours, fishing trips, and sailing excursions.
- Souvenirs: If you’re looking for souvenirs or gifts to bring back from your trip, Fisherman’s Wharf has a lot of options. From beautiful jewelry stores to the Monterey General Store, there will be something to help you remember your vacation.
Pictures from Fisherman’s Wharf Monterey, CA
^Give me all the taffy
^See what I mean? Wanted to push the stroller the whole time (“Do it by self, Mama!”)
^My little mama’s girl
^A bird display kept Lincoln and Adelaide interested
in this post:
diaper backpack: Fawn Design
my shirt: Romwe, c/o (it’s sold out but they have a ton of other embroidered options at great price points here and I’m eyeing this one here)
my Jeans: AG Denim via thredUP (Haven’t shopped at thredUP before? Here are my top tips to avoid overwhelm and get the best deals)
Lincoln’s shoes: Pediped, c/o (we love this brand for toddler shoes)
Adelaide’s moccs: Freshly Picked, c/o (you can get free 2 day shipping with prime!)