Have you tried a mojito before? Characterized by its combination of lime and mint, the refreshing drink is perfect for summer and we’ve been having it non-stop.
Back in college, there was a mocktail bar down the street that served the most delicious (virgin) mango mojitos. We’d order them with herbed truffle fries to dip in melted cheeses and it was always such a fun date.
Call it a pregnancy craving, call it inspiration, but over the last two months we have been making virgin mojitos on repeat as we reminisce about our college days and that fun mocktail bar. This non alcoholic drinks is perfect for pregnancy (or anytime).
I ordered peach and blackberry syrup off of amazon and we’ve been doing a little bit of experimenting.
These are fun to make for a small group of friends (they’re a pain to make for a large group of friends because you are cutting + squeezing a lot of limes) or just as a nice way to unwind at the end of a long day. Mocktails are a great alternative to full on desserts if you’re looking for something to serve at summer get-togethers.
What you need for virgin Mojitos (1 serving):
- 1 fresh lime
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- sparkling water
- 1/4 cup simple syrup (you can make this or buy it in a flavor of your choice)
- lots of crushed ice
*You can substitute store-bought lime juice in these, it just isn’t quite as good. I also use sparkling lime water to add a bit more lime flavor to our drinks. If you’re just making a classic mint + lime mojito, you can skip the simple syrup and use sprite instead of sparkling water. You might want to add 1 teaspoon of sugar to taste.
How to make virgin mojitos:
- Squeeze the juice of 1 lime into the bottom of a glass.
- Muddle mint leaves into the lime juice. Use the backside of a fork or the handle of a wooden spoon to crush the mint leaves into the juice, releasing the mint flavor.
- Fill the cup with crushed ice.
- Pour in a generous amount of syrup (this will vary by taste, I’ve found my friends and I prefer 1/4 cup).
- Fill the rest of the cup with sparkling water.
- Garnish with lime slice and serve with a stirring spoon to mix the water + syrup).