Is It Worth It? My Review of Rodan + Fields REDEFINE Regimen
Thank you to Rodan + Fields for sponsoring this post.
Thank you for all your birthday wishes! I have three full decades under my belt and I’m feeling pretty good about it. I celebrated turning thirty last week with a late night that lasted all the way until… ten pm. There is nothing like being asleep by the time you used to head out for some events to make you feel like you’ve reached middle age 🙂
In addition to prioritizing sleep, I’ve also been stepping up my skincare game.
Have you been thinking about mixing up your skincare routine? Has the stress and struggles of 2020 been taking a toll on your face? Me, too, friend. Me, too.
After sharing all about Rodan + Fields skin Regimens last month I’m excited to share how I’ve been liking their new and improved REDEFINE Regimen for the Appearance of Fine Lines, Wrinkles + Loss of Firmness. I’ve been noticing my skin is a little duller, less full, and less firm over the last year or two so I was interested in a Regimen that targeted the visible signs of aging.
A little bit about the REDEFINE Regimen for the Appearance of Fine Lines, Wrinkles + Loss of Firmness:
R+F just launched a new and improved version of their REDEFINE Regimen (reformulating the entire Regimen and adding new additions for customization: a new foaming cleanser, and lotion versions of their AM and PM moisturizers).
The REDEFINE Regimen allows you to customize your routine to target the visible signs of aging around the clock and fit your texture preferences. The Multi-Med Therapy within the REDEFINE Regimen works to perform at the optimal time of day for better than ever results. During the day, powerful Peptides + Botanical Extracts minimize the appearance of fine lines and deep wrinkles, while Peptides + Grape & Beet Extracts help visibly firm. At night, the PM products help sculpt, define & lift to visibly improve facial contours with exclusive Peptide Technology plus Retinoid Science. It sounds good, right? I tried it for two months and I’m excited to tell you all the things!
First, here’s what I’ve been using for anti-aging skincare:
- REDEFINE Creamy Foaming Cleanser: I love the Daily Clay Cleanser for a deep exfoliating clean, but I reach for the foaming cleanser as my daily cleanser because it is gentler on my skin. It gently works into a lather to remove daily impurities like oil, dirt, and makeup. The AHAs (alpha hydroxy acids) work to gently exfoliate while the ectoin (amino acid) and glycerol glucoside (a sugar derivative) help to reduce the look of lines and wrinkles while boosting firmness.
- REDEFINE Pore Refining Toner: This is the holy grail of the system, but I had to work my way up to using it more regularly. For sensitive skin, this is product you want to introduce slowly. It is a highly active prep solution that allows for better and more even absorption on the surface of the skin to get the most out of the moisturizer that follows. The first few days I used it, I had more sensitivity and redness so I backed off to using it every second or third day so I could still get results without damaging my skin barrier. It has Vitamin B3 to visibly even out skin tone and let your skin glow. Deep Sea Water from the Noimoutier Island off the coast of France uses natural minerals to help minimize the appearance of pores. Fruit acids help promote natural cell turnover which gives you a smoother skin texture. (can you see why this is great? and strong?)
- REDEFINE Triple Defense Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 30: While starting into the colder, drier months, and to work with the toner, I chose the thicker cream with SPF 30 for my daytime moisturizer. This is super hydrating with peptides, grape extract, and beet extract (for immediate and lasting hydration to plump the skin). It also has the RF3 Antioxidant Complex which is Rodan + Field’s proprietary technology that defends against daily environmental aggressors for a more youthful appearance. This absorbs well and leaves my skin feeling supple but not oily.
- REDEFINE Overnight Restorative Cream: I also picked the thicker cream for my nighttime moisturizer and love the rich, deep moisturizing night cream. This has an exclusive peptide technology to help sculpt and lift and vitamin B3 for that youthful glow. It also contains Bakuchiol, a plant-derived alternative to Retinol, along with Glycolic Acid to target fine lines and wrinkles for smoother looking skin.
Other products I’ve kept using in my regimen:
- I had also upped my retinoid prescription the week before starting this Regimen which had left my skin extra sensitive. I paused the retinoid the second week of this Regimen and wish I’d held off on it altogether until my skin adjusted to this new routine.
- The concentration the week before starting this Regimen and so my skin was a little more sensitive than usual when I started this new Rodan + Fields set.
- I still use an eye cream morning and night.
- Occasionally, I still use a face oil at night after the toner and before the moisturizer.
- From time to time, I use an overnight face mask, essentially a super thick moisturizer, for additional hydration (and because I love the smell).
- I do still use a primer in the morning after the moisturizer before I put my makeup on.
How I use R+F products for anti-aging:
I love how straightforward everything about this skincare regimen is. Everything is labeled clearly with the order you use it and whether you use it morning or night. There are no tricky things to figure out and it takes only a minute or two to get through the full skincare routine.
Full disclaimer: I do this full morning routine about 70% of the time. The other days I don’t wash my face, or I just use a little miscellar water on a cotton ball at about 2pm when I realize I haven’t washed my face.
- I start in the morning with rinsing my face with a damp clean washcloth.
- I gently massage a pea size amount of the foaming cleanser into my skin, focusing on my face and neck. If I’m not in a rush, I try to do this for 30-60 seconds before rinsing my face off with another part of the washcloth.
- Using a cotton ball, I apply a small amount of the toner to my face, using any leftover on the cotton ball on my neck. I let this sit and dry on my skin for a few seconds.
- I apply a pea size amount of the daytime moisturizer. I use the Triple Defense Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 30 because I love the thicker cream. It absorbs really well, is non-greasy, and very hydrating. I usually don’t like moisturizers with SPF in them (but I still use them) but this one is fantastic. It doesn’t leave any white tint on my face and doesn’t smell like SPF.
- If I’m not wearing any makeup for the day, I’m good to go. If I am, I let the moisturizer absorb while I brush my teeth and then apply a primer and makeup.
First Impressions of the new anti-aging line:
- I love the sleek minimalist packaging.
- I love how clearly everything is labeled and marked. The Regimen is straightforward and simple.
- The products have a satisfying “clean” feeling after use. The first time I finished with the cleanser and the toner, my skin felt like something was working and changing (which I love).
Results from the Anti-aging line:
I’ve been using these products on and off for the last two months. I started right in with using each product morning and night and realized my skin needed a little more time to adjust. I took a full week off and then eased into exfoliating once a week and using the toner every third day.
From talking to friends and my esthetician, this is not an uncommon experience when starting a new skincare regimen, especially one focused on anti-aging. My esthetician recommended easing into the routine more slowly and stopping my retinoid use while I transitioned.
I know everyone wants immediate results in everything these days, but skincare truly does take 4-8 weeks to work and show visible results. I appreciate that Rodan + Fields has a 60-day money back guarantee on all their products because you really do need to stick to it for at least a month to appreciate how awesome these products are.
What I’ve noticed while using the skincare regimen:
- a more even skin tone: My skin tends toward redness and splotchy patches and this has visibly evened out my skin tone.
- fewer breakouts: My biggest struggle with acne is right before that time of the month and this has made a noticeable difference. Instead of the regular 1-2 large pimples, I might have a very small one or nothing at all. Win.
- noticeably softer, smoother skin: The most noticeable difference has been in the texture of my skin. Everything is smoother and softer. It feels firmer and more hydrated.
And a few stats on the REDEFINE regimen:
Rodan + Fields sent over some of the data from the clinical trials which I loved seeing! You can tell I’m not the only one getting these results.
CLINICALS*: Percent of participants noticing improvement after 8 weeks:
- 94% had softer, more supple skin
- 94% had smoother skin
- 91% noticed firmer skin
- 85% had plumper, fuller-looking skin
- 85% had improved overall appearance/healthy glow
- 85% had more moisturized-looking skin
- 79% noticed less visible lines/wrinkles
- 76% had more lifted (less sagging) skin
- 76% had more resilient, bouncy skin
*Based on an 8-week U.S. clinical and consumer study. Results may vary depending on multiple factors: age, gender, skin type and condition, concomitant products used, health history, location, lifestyle and diet.
Where to buy the REDEFINE regimen:
You can order the full set for $220 on Rodan + Fields website or through a consultant. It is a 60-day supply of product, but I’ve found that mine actually lasts a lot longer because I don’t use the toner and moisturizer every single day.