In Tokyo at 5pm, a bell chimes throughout the city. As a little girl, it was my cue to come inside for dinner. Often dinner was a home cooked meal. On Tuesdays it was grilled kabobs from the stand down the street. On Wednesdays it was at the American Club while my brother took Aikido. On Fridays is was often macaroni and cheese as my parents headed off for date night.
It didn’t matter so much where or what we were eating, but just that we were doing it together.
The dinner table became a place where we felt heard, and a place where we learned to listen.
It was a constant and a comfort.
Now that we’re starting to feel settled in our place, I’m trying to find stability in a few constants, like family dinner. These days it’s often something quick, nothing like the incredible 4 course meal we had with Chef Michael Slough and the Dietz and Watson team at Doretta Tavern two weeks ago. Even though the food was incredible, the focus of their #ChooseTheTable campaign is that it doesn’t matter so much what or where you’re eating, but that you’re taking the time to be together. And it was the permission I needed to be okay with takeout, or sandwiches, or leftovers in this phase, because it’s the being together that matters most.
Our favorite meal that we’ve whipped up together in our new apartment has been simple (and not so simple!) grilled cheese sandwiches. Using a few different Dietz & Watson cheeses, their oven roasted turkey, caramelized onions, and a bit of mustard, we have a new favorite go-to meal.
Adelaide mostly just eats little bits of turkey, (and I love its high-quality, hand-trimmed chicken with no artificial colors, flavors, or fillers) but the rest of us enjoy this update to the classic rainy day meal I used to always eat with tomato soup.
3 Cheese + Caramelized Onion Fancy Grilled Cheese
What You’ll Need:
- Your choice of sliced bread (I love tuscan wheat for paninis or grilled cheese)
- Dietz & Watson Oven Roasted Turkey slices
- Dietz & Watson Zesty Honey Mustard
- Dietz & Watson Muenster Cheese, sliced
- Dietz & Watson Pepperjack Cheese, sliced
- Dietz & Watson Gruyere Cheese, sliced
- Onion, sliced and caramelized
What You’ll Do:
- Spread some of the zesty honey mustard on the inside of one slice and layer on your caramelized onions and cheese.
- All you do is grill it on each side on low until your bread is golden brown and your cheese is melted! I usually grill on a low setting with the cover n so the bread doesn’t brown before the cheese melts 🙂
- Serve with a favorite veggie and maybe a bowl of tomato soup and enjoy with your favorite people.
To encourage all of us to #ChooseTheTable and spend more quality time with the people that matter most, Dietz & Watson is giving you and a guest the chance to win the same incredible culinary experience at Doretta in Boston with Chef Michael Schlow next month. The menu is incredible, brilliantly incorporating some favorite Dietz & Watson products we love using in our grilled cheeses into a gourmet meal you don’t want to miss.
*No purchase necessary. Contest is open only to legal residents of Massachusetts, 21 yearse of age or older.
Pin it for later: