Today I’m sharing one of our favorite granola recipes, this homemade tropical granola. It is perfect for eating in a bowl with milk or snacking on the go. This recipe was originally published in March 2016.
It is no secret that we eat A LOT of cereal in this house; I just counted, we have 9 boxes sitting in the pantry. Anyone else?
When I was pregnant, with the constant need to snack every few hours, cereal was my go-to. But, when you go through multiple boxes of sugary goodness in a week on your own, it is time to start looking for alternatives. I was trying to find healthier ways to add a bit of variety to my snacking that are just as easy and just as tasty. This update to my mom’s favorite classic homemade granola recipe fit the bill.
This granola is something that works as well in a bowl with milk as it does in a bag on the go (or in a bag from the comfort of the couch, lets be real). The added bonus? The kids love it, too.
Easy Tropical Granola:
What You’ll Need For Homemade Tropical Granola:
- 5 cups old fashioned oats (not quick oats)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 2/3 cup shredded coconut
- dried fruit (I found dried papaya and wish Kroger would have also had dried mango)
- Mix oil and brown sugar in a saucepan on low heat until they combine at a low boil. Remove from heat.
- Combine oats, nuts, and coconut in a large bowl and stir in the liquid. Mix well.
- Spread out on two baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake at 300 for eighteen minutes and stir halfway through. *
- Let it cool on the baking sheet then add in dry fruit and enjoy.
pin this recipe for later: