I am trying to stay on top of documenting and sharing all the fun we’ve been having this fall in Boston so before we’re back from another weekend trip, I wanted to share a bit about our Cape Cod weekend this month!
Where we stayed on Cape Cod
For General Conference the first Saturday + Sunday in October, we drove out to Truro, Massachusettes, a town pretty far down the cape. With a little bit of traffic leaving the city on a Friday afternoon, it took us about 2.5 hours to get to the two houses we rented with a few other families for the weekend.
Are you headed to cape cod? Check out our favorite Cape Cod resorts right on the beach in this post.
We played games, ate lots of food, and stayed up way too late. We tried to soak in as much of General Conference but packed in low-key fun between sessions.
Highlights from our weekend on Cape Cod
A few things I want to remember from our Cape Cod weekend (and lots more pictures):
- One night I was putting the kids to bed in our room while everyone was back at the main house playing after dinner. Lincoln had been tucked into his makeshift bed on the floor and Adelaide was in the pack ‘n play. I was waiting on the other side of the door for them to quiet down and fall asleep. I curled my hair for the next day, pulled up this inspiring address from the women’s session of GF, and listened to those two toddlers giggle and play for 20 minutes before going quiet. I’ve said it before and I’m sure I’ll say it again, but watching those two become the best of friends is my very favorite part about motherhood.
- For girls night on Saturday a few got the ice cream assignment and came back with over 20 pints of ice cream! We shared worst dates + most embarrassing moments around the big dining room table. I’m so grateful to have all those ladies going through this same MBA experience with me.
- I laid out clothes on Sunday for Ben to dress Lincoln in and grabbed Adelaide’s jeans on accident. Ben put them on Lincoln anyway and by the time I realized, Lincoln didn’t want to take them off. So he wore his little sister’s skinny jeans all morning.
- We bought Lincoln a new cement mixer truck to play with during General Conference and he was so excited. “We going on a trip with our friends! I get to play with my new mixer truck during General Conference!” and “Tomorrow we wake up, get in the car, drive on our trip, and then play with my mixer truck during General Conference!” It was my best parenting idea of the weekend.
- It might have been teething or just the new environment but Adelaide had a particularly rough night on Saturday night. I came to bed around 11 and after getting up with her twice before midnight, I just brought her into bed with me for the first time in her life. When Ben came back to our room at two, he opted for the couch and so, while it was exhausting, a part of me enjoyed getting to snuggle that sleepy babe every hour or so until morning (when I sent both kids down to Ben so I could take a nap at 6:30 am).
- We drove down to Provincetown with another family on Saturday (the only time we actually left the property) – full post on Provincetown with the kids here.
The weather on Cape Cod in October
The weather was a little chilly in the mornings and while we braved the beach for a few hours, no one was eager to do a lot of swimming. We played with the kids in the sand, threw around a ball, and enjoyed long walks. If you’re headed to Cape Cod in October, pack lots of layers!
My camera stayed away for most of the weekend but I snapped a few pictures during golden hour on our first evening and then again on Sunday morning before we left:
^ We had to walk down about 300 stairs to get to the private beach – but so worth it
^couldn’t narrow it down – so there are three of the almost exact same picture 😛
^still a mamas girl
^and she loves to wave at everyone and everything
^friends on Sunday morning beach strolls
^rockin’ his sister’s skinny jeans
^huge back decks on both houses – we’re already counting down ’till when we can go back!
^at one point we had the kids asleep and we watched part of Sunday session from these chairs on the deck (listening to inspired words while looking out at this view? not a bad gig) ^view from our back deck
^Ben missed the navy + denim memo – but we still love him