Happy Earth Day! We’re celebrating by taking in the gorgeous views off the coast of Spain this week but I have a fun recipe for you if you’re looking for a way to get a bit festive this weekend (or really, anytime, because this chocolate cake is THE BEST!). These cupcakes are almost as cute as they are delicious and all you do is add a few ingredients to a box of yellow cake mix to create bakery-style cupcakes that no one will believe came from a mix.
The real fun comes in when you turn your delicious chocolate cupcakes into tiny spring seedlings with an assortment of frosting and crushed cookies. If you want to involve the kids, you can set out options for decorating the tops of their own seedlings with fondant leaves, gummy worms or other gummy creatures. I went ahead and served these in miniature pots so they really look like little seedlings (and double as table decorations).
Total Time: 45 min. | Prep Time: 5 min. | Serves: 8 | Difficulty: Easy
- 1 box (16.5 oz.) yellow cake mix
- 1 box (3.9 oz.) instant chocolate pudding
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 can (16 oz.) Kroger Rich & Creamy Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- 1 package (14.3 oz.) Oreo Cookies, for topping
- Fondant leaves or gummy worms, for topping
- Follow the directions on the cake mix package, mixing the ingredients in a large bowl until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ full with batter and bake at 350° F for 20 minutes or until the cupcake top bounces back after pressure is applied.
- Frost with chocolate frosting and dip the top of the cupcake in crushed Oreo Cookies; top with the fondant leaf to serve as a seedling. If desired, add a gummy worm or two.
I pulled the chocolate cookie part off of each Oreo, so I had no white filling in my “dirt.”