Okay, okay, NEED is a relative term. You certainly don’t NEED five new pairs of shoes this summer, but, if you happen to be looking for a few great pairs, here they are:
1. Slip-on Sandals: When you’re trying to juggle a toddler, a baby, and a diaper bag (or two), sometimes it just isn’t feasible to also bend over and tie your shoes (or in my case, the 36 week baby bump makes it near impossible). I’ve been wearing this pair of Birksenstocks for over a month now and because as you wear them, the cork foot bed molds to your foot for comfort and support, they just get better and better. I also managed to hike (unplanned) to this remote beach in them while we were in Spain and I was so grateful I wasn’t just wearing flip flops.
2. Sneakers: The athleisure trend isn’t going anywhere fast which makes a cute pair of sneakers as functional as they are fashionable. I have this light blue pair from Asics (in grey) and they transition easily from a morning at the gym (or chasing kids around the park) to an afternoon of running errands. They come in a few different colors and are my most used shoe purchase so far this year.
3. Walkable Wedge: I love a beautiful pair of heels as much as the next girl, but my shoe taste is getting more and more practical as the years go on. Wedges are infinitely easier to walk in and are quite a bit more comfortable for your foot. I discovered the brand Kork-Ease a few months ago and ordered two different pairs from thredUP (at 70% off) in the past few weeks and have been amazed at how comfortable they are. One is a 4″ wedge and this girl, who can’t really walk in heels these days to save her life, wore them to church on Sunday – three hours of wrangling a toddler and no footwear issues! Basically you get all the perks of feeling awesome in a great pair of heels, while still being able to function.
4. Cut-Out Flats: Again, a win for something that can be slipped on without buckles or laces with the added benefit of being really cute. The perforations keep your foot a bit cooler in the summer and the color is fun while still going with everything. You could wear these running errands or for a date night out.
5. Everyday Comfort: Keds have been a summer staple (year round staple?) for me since I bought my first plaid pair in the seventh grade. They’re cute, comfortable, and go with so much. I wore these all over Europe with everything from jeans to dresses and love the heather grey color. I also love that they’re smaller and lighter than a full-on sneaker when packing for summer getaways.
P.S. The Nordstrom half-yearly sale starts tomorrow with up to 40% off!