We have made it to Autumn! Something has been whispering to me all year to hold on, to hang in there, until Fall. In some ways there is so much heavy that we are carrying right now but, also, for the first time in awhile, things seem to be settling back into comfortable routines. Next month doesn’t feel daunting the way it did back in March or June. We can do hard things. We are doing hard things. And we are stronger for it.
I loved the quote a friend shared that “Absurd times call for absurd amounts of love.” A good mantra for right now, I think.
And so, in the spirit of looking ahead, finding happy right now, here is a September happy list.
A September happy list:
- How excited Lincoln and Adelaide are when I pick them up from school each day.
- The way everyone greets Westley when they wake up in the morning (he and Dad have celebrity status over here).
- Mio water vitamin drops in Orange Vanilla
- This $20 sweater from Target I bought in two colors and have worn 6 of the last 10 days. (it’s on sale for $16 right now with the Target app!)
- Cold nights and warm afternoons
- The leaves in New England starting to change
- Reading The Chronicles of Narnia aloud to the kids at night. It is a bit above their level but they are excited to listen to it each night and pick up a lot (we talk about what is happening a lot, too).
- Running outside in the middle of the day. Nothing makes me want to be a runner than crisp fall days.
- Watching Westley turn around before he climbs backward down stairs. How is this baby one already?
- Lincoln wanting to take “lots of pictures just like you, Mom.” All of the ones of Adelaide and me in this post were snapped by him (the camera was secured on this tripod because I’m not ready to hand my 85mm lens to a five year old) .
- Picking up canned pumpkin at Trader Joes for Harvest Loaf Cake (aka the most delicious chocolate chip pumpkin bread)
Target sweater: This Target find is $20 and comes in 15+ colors (some are selling out though so don’t wait on this).
- Right now it’s 20% off with Target circle (grab the target app and download the code) making it only $16!
- It is a roomy fit so you don’t need to size up to get the slightly oversized look.
- I’m wearing my usual XS.
- I love that the knit isn’t super bulky so it is great for a half tuck into jeans but also cozy over leggings.
- Sometimes with sweaters I feel a little restricted but wearing this one is like wearing a sweatshirt … and so I’ve worn one of the two colors I bought 6 out of the last 10 days. How many more is too many?
denim: A current favorite I snagged on sale (still 50% off but only two sizes left – Nordstrom has darker washes fully stocked here). These run a bit big but I think that’s why I like them so much. Size down one if you want a tts skinny fit but if you want a more relaxed skinny fit, stick with your regular size.
leather loafers: I’m finally breaking in my new Everlane Day Loafers. How beautiful are these? Size half a size up in these if you have regular to wide feet (I’m wearing a 6.5 but I wish I would have ordered a 7). The leather is gorgeous and they break in really well. TBD if they’re super comfortable for longer days on your feet but so far I’m loving them! I’m wearing them in the color “dark rose” and right now they’re 30% off but sizes are selling out.
Kya necklace: Hey June jewelry never disappoints and this necklace has been my go-to for 2020. Nordstrom quality at Target prices. If you haven’t tried pieces from them before, be sure to check out their selection of studs (the little geometric ones are my favorite).
Past happy lists here:
- Spring 2020 happy list
- 2018 a happy list and pictures from Newport, RI
- Fall 2017 happy list
- Thanksgiving 2016 happy list
- A happy list when baby Lincoln was the only baby around here (and my hair didn’t need to be highlighted)
- There’s a happy list here but mostly the matching pictures with baby Adelaide are the best part of this post