I hope you had a wonderful evening last night, and that you can remember all of it 😉 We started our morning at 6 am and made the trek from California back to Utah, driving into SLC just in time to climb for a few hours before spending the rest of the evening, eating, laughing, cheering, and more eating (and maybe a few fireworks thrown in there, I sure hope my landlord doesn’t read this blog :). This is the second year in the row we’ve travelled thousands of miles on New Years Eve to make it back in time to hang out with these two wonderful people. Gosh we love Dave and Sarahjane. Them moving to FL in August was no bueno (except in the whole getting a PhD and improving their life and their tan thing).
But, I wanted to tell you about something I was thinking on our drive across the country yesterday (a very snow covered country I might add). Yesterday I shared my twelve highlights of 2012. They involved all the trips and big events that have happened these past twelve months. But, they missed some of my most favorite moments of 2012. You know, those small, simple moments in which life seems perfect? The ones so tender or so hilarious they make an ordinary day almost magical?
And so, to better commemorate 2012, here are some of the moments that made my year:
1. Laughing and snapping pictures with Carly and Ben and Ryan spent at least an hour trying to get a ping pong ball into a bowl, complete with wrestling, high pitched screams, and lots of man love. I got some of it on film, I should share it on here 😛 Its moments like that which remind me how lucky I am to have such wonderful friends that fill my life with so much laughter.
|it’s so blurry, I know – but it captures that moment oh so well 🙂|
2. Similarly, there was lounging on a kayak with Ben, Dave, and Sarahjane on the crystal waters under the glowing sun (forget about the horrendous sunburn it led to). It was a moment where all the cares are gone and there is nothing but water, sun, friends, and smiles.
3. Walking into my old bedroom and calling hi to my little sister. It took her a few seconds to realize that I was supposed to still be 2000 miles away and not coming home for Christmas at all. It was just as fulfilling to go wake my other sister, who pushed us away, wanting to stay asleep, because she thought my voice was coming from her dream.
4. That final moment of triumph, adrenaline, and ultimate satisfaction as our resolution (call to action to all UN member states of the ultimate solution to the issue of small arms and light weapons in Africa) passed. Sitting in that ball room in the Marriot Times Square, the days of hard work cumulated and I felt as if we had made a difference.
5. That calm moment, in a crowd of people, where I knew what I needed to do with the rest of my life. It was a strong reminder that He is there, and not only that He loves me, but He plans to use me, in the best way possible.
6. Getting back to our apartment after a 20 hour car ride and kissing a sleepy Benjamin awake just to curl up into warm sheets and fall asleep to soft “I love you”s.
So there you have it, a few of my favorite seconds in 2012. Ben and I just talked through all of our New Years Resolutions (its a hefty list) – and I’ll have those to share later this week, but for now, I’m going to go cherish the rest of this first day of our new year with my favorite.