When my family lived in Italy twelve years ago, Nutella became a favorite. We like it on homemade bread in the morning, mixed into our gelato after lunch, and spread thin over crepes for dessert. Why it took us twelve years to mix it into frosting, I’m not sure, but I’m happy to report we’ve rectified that oversight. And oh my goodness is it delicious. I added chopped hazelnuts and a few tablespoons of Nutella to the brownie batter, but you could just whip up this frosting for any brownie or cake. #todiefor
What You’ll Need:
- 1 boxed brownie mix + all listed ingredients
- 1 extra egg
- 2 TBSP cream (can use milk)
- 1/2 C chopped hazelnuts
- 4 TBSP Nutella
- 2 C Powdered Sugar
- 2 TBSP hot water
What You’ll Do:
- Mix brownies as directed on box. Add the additional egg, cream, and chopped hazelnuts. Mix in 2 TBSP Nutella. Pour mix into a greased baking pan.
- Bake as directed on box.
- For the frosting: Whip powdered sugar, water, and 2 TBSP Nutella (here, the frosting should be thick – add additional water as needed if your frosting isn’t holding together).
- For frosting the brownies, you can stripe the pan with the frosting and sprinkle with additional chopped hazelnuts, or you can cut each brownie out as pictured. For the second serving option (great for parties), wait until the brownies have completely cooled. Then, use a juice glass or cookie cutter to cut out circles. Pipe frosting onto each brownie and top with a chopped hazelnuts.
Hazelnut/Nutella Brownies at their finest (and thanks Maddie for this particular brownie request):
P.S. I swam half a mile yesterday! Two months ago I was struggling an eighth of a mile. I love being able to see improvement in my body’s ability 🙂 #happyday