With the big game coming up I’ve put together a few entertaining tips for today. First is a fun tablescape I put together that brings the competition to the food. I divided the table using two table cloths, one black, and one white. I used white dishes on the black side and black (or black patterned) dishes on the white side. I kept the color theme (and a little class) going with a few fresh flowers and Jone’s sodas. You could easily adapt this for game day by getting cloths in the team’s colors. Add some balloons and streamers to make it a little more festive and have guests vote on which team (of food) wins!
Dueling Dishes Ideas:
- Pick the same food in different flavors like I did with the Cheese-Its (regular and white cheddar) and the Hot Pockets (Ham & Cheese with Croissant Crust and Pepperoni Pizza with Garlic Buttery Seasoned Crust). This would be great with two different soups too (use a cream base for one and have a spicier clear broth for the other).
- Pick the same food or treat in different forms like I did with the Ice cream Sundae (the EDY’S or DREYER’S Limited Edition Touchdown Sundae flavor is delicious – I hope Ben doesn’t eat all of it while I’m gone) and the Nestle Crunch Dipped Drumsticks.
- Serve different dipping sauces for veggies or some kind of meat (I’m thinking chicken tenders or wings).
- Go ahead and serve two different main dishes and let the best one win. Here I had DiGiorno Rising Crust Pizza served against Stouffers Party Size Lasagna with Meat & Sauce (and we think the Lasagna won).
- You can also go ahead and pick a flavor for each side of the table (each team). Make everything on the left side spicy, and everything on the right sweet. To keep things easy, sprinkle pepper flakes on DiGiorno’s pizza (pictured) or whip up a honey dipping sauce to go with the hot pockets (pictured) or wings.
^^dueling hot pocket flavors
^^I always like whichever Cheez-Its I have first.
^^one of my new favorite ice cream flavors
^^the party size lasagna was less than $10… Ben has lots of food to eat while I’m gone 🙂
^^To keep with the black and white I made some brownies from scratch. You could top them in different colored sprinkles to keep with the dueling dishes idea.
I picked up everything I needed for this spread at Walmart and most of it was conveniently located in displays at the end of the aisles. I have a few more fun ideas for game day entertaining later today – but I’d love to hear if you’re doing anything special! Are you hosting this year? Decorating? Or doing something else altogether?