So it’s officially cold here. The sixty degree November days are behind us and we’re hunkering down for a few months of frigid temperatures (and hopefully lots of snow). While I may love dressing for the colder temperatures, my hair has never been such a fan so today I’m sharing five tips to keep your hair healthy in the colder weather.
- Don’t leave the house with wet hair. The wet hair + really cold air combo dries your hair out much faster and leaves it static and frizzy.
- Deep condition once a week. Your hair dries out more in the winter months. I love the Restore Treatment Mask from Living Proof.
- Keep washing to a minimum (3 times a week MAX). Washing your hair strips it of natural oils so doing this less often is better for your hair. Be sure to have a great dry shampoo on hand like Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo from Living Proof. I’ve been using it for a couple of weeks now and it has been an instant favorite (fair warning, a little goes a long way AND I’ll use it on clean hair for added volume).
- Invest in a humidifier. More moisture in the air means more moisture in your hair. Not ready for a humidifier? You can lock in moisture with the No Frizz Weightless Spray or I’ve wanted to try their No Frizz Humidity Shield (but maybe in the summer months).
- Avoid super hot water. I’m a sucker for long hot showers during the winter but keep your hair away from the really hot temps. If you can’t give them up completely, be sure to rinse your hair in tepid to cold water to lock in the moisture. It’ll give you silkier tresses without much effort. Also a good shampoo and conditioner go a long way in this department. I gave up my $5 drug store shampoo and conditioner after the baby and my hair has been incredibly grateful.
I’ve also been trying to be much better about using a heat protectant (although I didn’t include because it isn’t specific to winter) and I really can’t say enough good things about Restore Instant Protection. Unlike other ones I’ve tried in the past, this is an aerosol, so it doesn’t get your hair “wet” right before you curl or straighten. You can also apply it to damp hair before blow drying – gotta love a multitasking product.
In rounding up some new hair products for winter, I used Living Proof’s product selector tool that helped me choose things that worked for my type of hair and solved the issues I was targeting. You can take the quiz here and see what products they recommend for your hair.
A tad more about the company that I found interesting: The top stylist from Living Proof has a good hair mantra “natural inside and science outside.” He explains that eating organic and healthy food creates stronger hair, but when it comes to products, organic isn’t always better. Living Proof has a hefty amount of science to back up their formulas and my hair can tell. You can use their product selector to find the best combo of products for your hair and my favorites are the PHD Dry Shampoo, the Restore Instant Protection (I use it on my hair each time before I curl it), and the Flex Shaping Hairspray. I’ve also heard amazing things about their ‘no Frizz’ line which would do wonders for hair in the winter as well.