Here’s another little twist on the classic boxed brownie mix for you. I didn’t have much time to throw together a dessert for our Memorial Day BBQ last week so I just picked up a few Almond Joy candies at Walgreens and whipped these up. The touch of coconut in the frosting is so refreshing on a hot summer afternoon.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 boxed brownie mix + all listed ingredients
- 1 extra egg
- 2 TBSP cream (can use milk)
- 2 drops of coconut extract
- 2 packages of Almond Joy Candies
- 1/2 C coconut flakes
- 2 C Powdered Sugar
- 2 TBSP hot water
What You’ll Do:
- Mix brownies as directed on box. Add the additional egg, cream, and coconut flakes. Pour mix into a greased baking pan.
- Chop up the Almond Joy Candies (any size you want really, I did small chunks) and place in batter. Use finger or spoon to cover each candy completely by surrounding batter.
- Bake as directed on box.
- For the frosting: Whip powdered sugar, water, and coconut flavoring.
- For frosting the brownies, you can stripe the pan with the frosting and sprinkle with additional Almond Joy crumbs, or you can cut each brownie out as pictured. For the second serving option (great for parties), wait until the brownies have completely cooled. Then, use a cup or cookie cutter to cut out circles. Pipe frosting onto each brownie and top with a candy piece.
And just because I like taking pictures – here are a million more: