P.S. I loved your comments on yesterday’s post on saying positive things about motherhood. I am also infinitely grateful for the reassurance my own mom gives each time I get her on the phone. Turns out I was a pretty easy baby.. here’s to hoping, in the beginning, baby boy is a bit like me 🙂
Today’s post has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone, like always 🙂 #collectivebias
Hello Autumn! Can it really be Fall already? If you’re lucky, your weather is cooperating and you can pull out all your cozy knits and jewel tone layers. If you’re not (we’re due to hit the eighties this weekend), you can opt for a less cozy celebration and add a little fall flavor to your makeup routine instead (or just go ahead and bake plenty of pumpkin recipes and indulge in some caramel apples…I’ve been doing both).
My makeup routine has been pretty standard for the past five years. Aside from the switch from BareMineral’s powder foundation to their new liquid line and a few lessons in the art of contouring and highlighting, not much has changed….except for a new love of bold lip color! Its such an easy addition that takes my standard makeup look from casual to sophisticated or fun to flirty with one simple color. Fall is always about the deeper lip colors but I’ve been seeing this rich purple pop up everywhere and I’ve been wanting to see if I could pull it off (I know, I know – 80% of pulling something off is just deciding you can, but when it comes to makeup, skin tone and coloring is kind of important too).
In celebration of fall (the season, not the weather), I stopped in Ulta to pick up a few things to recreate the deep purple lip I’ve been seeing everywhere. Let me tell you, I could spend hours and hours browsing the aisles of that store. Thankfully the sales lady was super helpful in recommending a few different brands to try out in the color I was looking for (and I overheard her recommending colors based on another client’s skin tone…I should have asked what she’d recommend for me!). What I really love though, is that Ulta has every product at every price point. I can get my Clinique skin care, my Bare Mineral’s foundation, and my NYX lipsticks all in the same place. Its like combining the drugstore makeup aisle (while tripling the merchandise) with the department store beauty counter.
So in celebration of fall, and in anticipation of all those fall layers I’ll be able to wear shortly, here are my six tips for a long lasting bold fall lip:
1. Exfoliate: There’s nothing worse than your lipstick getting cracked due to your dry skin and with the temperatures dropping (at some point), its even more important. You can go with Bliss’s Fabulips Sugar Scrub or make your own sugar scrub with a bit of olive oil and sugar.
2. Hydrate: Some lipsticks are already super moisturizing but regardless, I like to have a good chapstick on hand to combat my dry lips. While I’ve loved soft lips for years (and I picked up another one at Ulta this week), I also started using Maybelline’s Baby Lips Dr. Rescue and its fantastic! Its a budget version of Bliss’s Fabulips Softening Lip Balm and I can really tell a difference.
3. Line Your Lips: Find a color that matches your lipstick and outline your lips. To get the color to last, go ahead and fill in the lines, covering your whole lip with the liner. This helps act as a base and will keep your brilliant color on all day long. To match my Stila color, I went with Ulta’s Automatic Lip Liner (50% off).
4. Apply Your Lipstick: For this deep purple color, I went with Stila’s ‘Stay All Day’ Liquid Lipstick in Amore (did you know there was such a thing?). Essentially, you apply it like a lipgloss and in less than a minute, it has dried into a matte finish on your lips. Of all the lipsticks I tried, this was my very favorite. But, if you’re looking to add the same color to your makeup bag without the $22 price point, Ulta’s lipstick in 247 (pictured above) gives you the same color.
5. Powder: I don’t usually set my lipstick with a little powder but if I need it to last ALL DAY LONG, then I love this little trick. I just lightly dab my finger in a bit of cream powder (the same that I use to set my foundation) to put it on my lips.
6. Gloss: Totally optional, but if you want more of a glossy look, swipe on a bit of clear gloss (the Super Shiny Lip Gloss I picked up is on sale for $4).